CERT-In is operational since January 2004. The constituency of CERT-In is the Indian Cyber Community. CERT-In is the national nodal agency for responding to computer security incidents as and when they occur.
In the recent Information Technology Amendment Act 2008,CERT-In has been designated to serve as the national agency to perform the following functions in the area of cyber security:
- Collection,analysis and dissemination of information on cyber incidents.
- Forecast and alerts of cyber security incidents
- Emergency measures for handling cyber security incidents
- Coordination of cyber incident response activities.
- Issue guidelines,advisories,vulnerability notes and whitepapers relating to information security practices,procedures, prevention,response and reporting of cyber incidents.
- Such other functions relating to cyber security as may be prescribed