|CERT-In Vulnerability Note
Remote Code Execution Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Malware Protection Engine
Original Issue Date:December 08, 2017
Severity Rating: HIGH
- Windows 7 for 32-bit Systems SP1 and x64-based Systems SP1
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 for 32-bit Systems and x64-based Systems
- Microsoft Windows RT 8.1
- Windows 10 for 32-bit Systems and x64-based Systems
- Windows 10 Version 1511 for 32-bit Systems and x64-based Systems
- Windows 10 Version 1607 for 32-bit Systems and x64-based Systems
- Windows 10 Version 1703 for 32-bit Systems and x64-based Systems
- Windows 10 Version 1709 for 32-bit Systems and x64-based Systems
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2016 (Server Core installation)
- Windows Server, version 1709 (Server Core Installation)
- Microsoft Endpoint Protection
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2013
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2016
- Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection
- Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Windows In tune Endpoint Protection
Multiple remote code execution vulnerabilities have been reported in Microsoft Malware Protection Engine component of multiple Microsoft products which could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the targeted system.
Multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in the Microsoft Malware Protection due to improper scanning of specially crafted file. A remote code attacker could exploit these vulnerabilities by enticing the target user to access a specially crafted file which when scanned by the affected version of the Malware Protection Engine leads to memory corruption.
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow the attacker to execute arbitrary code with the privileges of the Local System account and compromise the system completely.
Apply appropriate patches as mentioned in Microsoft Security Guidance
The information provided herein is on "as is" basis, without warranty of any kind.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +91-11-24368572
Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In)
Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
Government of India
6, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road,
New Delhi - 110 003